Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Let me be


I have had enough…. Seriously…. More than just enough… Into my second year of my Master’s…. I’ve been in an education system since 1989… And I’ve had enough… I am not trying to say I have had enough of education…. Nor that am uninterested in pursuing my so called education…. But I’ve simply had enough of every single teacher telling me that I do not work hard enough. Laszy, casual, laid back, full of potential (but unwilling to work), work-shy… this sure will be one endless list. Every possible adjective has been used on me.

Why are my teachers so unfair in what they have to say about me? I sometimes wonder if the whole lot of them have conspired against me ? Not that I personally have anything against any of my teachers. I love and respect all of them ( of course, some more than the others). I do know and understand that what they tell me should eventually help in building me up. I know that none of them is spiteful. Yet, it gets to me. I have heard the same thing over and over and over for the last eighteen years. I have been to four different institutions, taken a wide range of subjects but at the end of every course, all I get to hear is “You know, Asha, you have it in you. But you don’t bother to work hard.”“Excuse me, have what??? And if I do have it, why would I choose to be lazy???” . Now, I must admit that I have been plain lazy several times. But c’mon, I do work as well, when I ought to.

After a while this kind of talk wrecks you. I have begun to ask myself where am I heading? What is all this in aid of? Am I really that casual about everything? Does not my future concern me? There have been times (a lot of them), when I have put in a lot of hard work and not got the kind of results that people expect of me. Ah ! there lies the crux of this issue. I have no expectations or aspirations for myself. I am extremely content to be living at this period in time. I have been blessed with everything that I could possible ask for. I do not see the need to be somebody I do not in any case want to be. So just please let me be.

No comments: