Monday, August 6, 2007

The eternal dilemma

It has been a whole week since I began my third semester at CIEFL (now EFLU or TEFLU, suit yourelf) and I have not been able to decide on my choice of subject for my "dissertation". Well, dissertation may seem like a big word but the daunting task of deciding between Literature and Translation remains unsettled.
I have been weighing the pros and cons of the issue for a really long time now, without any success. If I were to take up Translation, I would certainly enjoy myself beyond doubt but I need a target language which unfortuately cannot be English(which is technically my mother tongue) but is not recognized by the pundits as a language fit enought to be called mother tongue by an Indian. On the other hand, if I were to do Literature, I would slog and slog and love the slogging yet I do not wish to pursue my further work in the domain. Thus, am quite literally left in the lurch, wondering how to make the choice. The only comforting fact being that either way, the medium used will be French...!!!!....
Then again, I do not wish to work on translation because it comes rather naturally to me. I would prefer to work on an area where I actually do some serious work as regard research and writing goes. Literature, I am passionate about but can be awfully unpredictable because a good lit day or a bad lit day for me depends enitrely on my mood!
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. For after I have decided on my area, I have to choose my guide / supervisor (which would in all probability be a bigger dilemma), following which comes the biggest of the problems, my topic of interest. This or that or this....let me think...this or that... I don't know.... I need time to think...... this or that..... I wonder how long this is going to last.

No comments: